An easy lemon bar recipe is the perfect spring and summer treat that’s a little sweet and a little tart. These lemon squares will go anywhere and everyone will love them!
I love lemon and in the spring and summer when you are craving something sweet this easy lemon bar recipe bursts with that sunny lemon flavor that makes you feel happy when you eat it. Seriously it’s like everything is right with the world and sunny days are ahead. I often use lemon instead of salt for savory dishes like these lemon pepper roasted potatoes. It really perks up any recipe.
I prefer fresh lemon juice to get that tartness but you can also use minute maid frozen lemonade if you prefer a sweeter taste. These lemon bars have a buttery crust that is like shortbread with a rich lemon custard filling that’s topped with a sweet lemon glaze. The lemon glaze balance out that perfect blend of sweet and tart. These lemon squares are perfect for a picnic, the pool or for a summer cookout. They are always a hit whenever I bring them. Lemon is a flavor that everyone loves and you can cut these easy lemon bars into whatever size you want for a small bite or a big dessert. I’ve even made small lemon squares for a wedding or baby shower they are so versatile. You can even double the recipe and freeze a pan for up to one month.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1/2 plus 4 tbs. cup fresh lemon juice or frozen minute maid lemonade
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 eggs lightly beatned
- 2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter, 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and 2 cups of the flour at low speed until it resembles crumbs.
- Press into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned.
- Combine eggs, 1/4 cup flour, 2 cups sugar and 1 tsp. baking powder until well blended.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Pour over warm crust and bake for 25-30 more minutes until top is golden brown.
- Cool Completely.
- Mix together 1 cup confectioners sugar and 4 tbsp. lemon juice and pour over cooled bars.
- Let glaze set then cut into squares
If you love lemon desserts like I do you might also want to try my popular recipe for lemon cupcakes with a caramel drizzle or my easy no-bake lemon icebox pie. For more great lemon recipes try lemon artichoke slow cooker chicken, lemon dijon salad dressing, or check out these 25 lemon recipes for more summer fun.