Thanks to Sunkist for sponsoring today's post so I can share with you how we are using lemon as an alternative to salt.
My husband has had high blood pressure for years. I am borderline so we need to minimize the salt in our diets. We have started flavoring with lemon instead of salt. Are you up for the challenge? I'm sharing my lemon pepper roasted potatoes for you to try it out.
How much salt should you eat in a day?
According to the dietary guidelines for healthy Americans it's recommended to eat under 2300 mg of salt per day. For people over 51, with high blood pressure or kidney disease it should be only 1500 mg. I bet you are wondering just how much that equals. 2300 mg = 1 teaspoon! Now Americans as a whole eat entirely way to much sodium and if you eat take out or pre-processed foods then you are on sodium overload. We have personally found that we have a harder time eating out now that we have reduced our sodium because we really notice the salt and things taste too salty.
How do I cut salt out of my diet?
- First take the salt shaker off the table. Many people will automatically salt their food before they even taste it. We don't even own a salt shaker anymore.
- Cut down of fast food and pre-processed foods in the grocery store, remember shop the perimeter of the store.
- Opt for low sodium products like low sodium soy sauce or ketchup.
- Use lemons to replace salt in your recipes. Lemon or lemon zest is a great alternative to give zing to your foods and you won't miss the salt. Here is a great info-graphic so you will know how much to replace with. Make sure you pin it so you don't forget!
My Favorite Lemons to use!
There are a few brands that I am choosy about in when I go grocery shopping. I will only buy a certain toilet paper, peanut butter and when it comes to lemons I like Sunkist Brand. Why? well for one they are grown in California and Arizona. I totally believe in supporting any US-based business when I can. This means they have not been traveling for a long time to get to me and they are fresher and last longer. I usually buy a bag because I use them for cleaning around the house and sometimes in my laundry. They are not just for cooking.
Now I want all of you to take the Sunkist S'alternative challenge and try these yummy lemon pepper roasted potatoes and see if you can start flavoring with lemon instead of salt.
- 20-30 Pee Wee Potatoes can also use fingerlings
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Put your potatoes on a cookie sheet or in a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the potatoes
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Using your hands toss the potatoes until coated.
- If using a bowl spread them on a pan and place in the oven at 425 degrees
- Roast for 20 minutes or until they are fork tender.
Feel free to substitute any root vegetable for potatoes in this recipe
So now I'm ready to hear what recipe you are going to replace salt with lemon in?