I love meaty lasagna with all its wonderful flavors and textures! What's not to love? The work. I know, it can take forever to make a really good lasagna from scratch. I hate boiling noodles and all that! Well, friends, I've perfected a slow cooker lasagna that I think you're going to love. It's all the wonderful things you love about the original version but with less fuss because it's made in your crockpot.
Imagine coming home from work to the wonderful aroma of lasagna! I made the meat sauce the night before, then add everything to the slow cooker in the morning. Dinner time is a breeze – and delicious!
While your cheese is melting make sure you coax the kiddos to set the table and wash up! Trust me, you're going to love this dish! It's cheesy, with just a hint of garlic and basil… the sauce is hearty and the noodles perfectly cooked. I'm craving another bowl right now, actually!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 cans 15oz each tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 container 15oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan & Romano cheese
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the peppers and onions until tender.
- Add the ground beef, season with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Drain off excess grease.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese with the grated and ricotta cheeses. Mix until well combined.
- The remaining mozzarella cheese will be for the top of the lasagna just before serving so place that back in the refrigerator.
- Spoon a fourth of the meat sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Break 5 noodles and place them on top.
- Spread half the cheese mixture on top of the noodles. Repeat the layers, ending with sauce on the top.
- Set the slow cooker to low, cover and cooker for 4-6 hours until the noodles are tender.
- About 10 minutes before serving, top with remaining mozzarella cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese is melted.
*If you're making this the night before as I do, let the mixture cool then put into a resealable container and refrigerate.