Hello everyone! Ang here from Juggling Act Mama again to share with you some delicious banana cupcakes with strawberry mascarpone frosting. Don't let the unique combination of ingredients throw you off, these are out of this world!
I do a lot of baking for my own blog, of course, but I also make something for just about every bake sale at my children's school. These cupcakes are a nice way to sneak a little extra nutrition into a normally “empty” sweet treat. The bananas add a delicious flavor and texture to the cupcakes, and pair deliciously with the strawberry mascarpone frosting.
If you're not familiar with it, mascarpone cheese is similar to cream cheese, and it helps give the frosting an amazing richness and texture.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1-1/2 cups ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz butter
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- Dash of milk if needed to thin frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Prepare a muffin tin with liners or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Whisk in the butter, bananas and vanilla.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, taking care not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the wells in the muffin pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, before removing from the pan to cool completely.
- Remove the butter and the mascarpone from the refrigerator about 1 hour before preparing the frosting.