As a kid, I always loved Valentine’s Day! It was our chance to bring in a cute little note and a treat for all of your friends and classmates at school. Sometimes it would be a stick of gum attached to a Strawberry Shortcake Valentine, other years we would bake up a batch of cookies like these Strawberry Chocolate Heart Cookies to accompany our little love notes.
These cookies are wonderfully delicious, especially if you love the combination of chocolate and strawberries. The cookies are made from a simple dough, based on a strawberry cake mix. It makes mixing the dough very fool proof, and easy enough to get your kids involved in the process.
This pretty pink cookie dough is then rolled into a pink sugar, which adds a pretty sparkle and a nice crunch to the outside of the cookie. The dough is also made with cream cheese making it super moist on the inside.
These Valentine’s cookies are topped with a fantastic Strawberry Swirled Chocolate. Not only are these chocolates tasty, they make a beautiful addition to the top of this delicious treat. The chocolates are added after the cookies have baked. Enjoy the cookies while still warm, or let the chocolates cool to keep their shape. Anyway, you have it, these cookies are so yummy!
- 1 strawberry flavored cake mix
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. red food coloring optional
- 1 5.25 oz. bottle Pink Sparkling Sugar (like Wilton Brand)
- Heart Shaped Chocolates Dove makes the Strawberry Swirled Chocolates
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- With a stand or hand mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Gradually add the cake mix about 1 cup at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. If you would like a more vibrant pink color, add the 1/2 tsp. of red food coloring. Dough will be thick and slightly sticky.
- In a small bowl, pour the sparkling sugar. Add a heaping tablespoon full of dough into the sugar and roll the dough in the sugar until all sides are coated. (At this point the dough won't be as sticky. You can then easily roll the dough in your hands.) Roll the dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven after baking, and promptly place a chocolate on top of each hot cookie. Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm, or let cool completely to let the chocolates set to keep their shape.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll surely love these other recipes by Delightful E Made: