Thanks to Betty Crocker™ Potatoes for sponsoring today’s recipe.
I love an easy casserole and during the holidays they are great for busy nights. This Mexican hashbrown casserole is so warm and comforting. It has all the flavors you love meat, peppers, onions and spices. It’s topped with Betty Crocker™ cheesy hashbrown casserole potatoes .
When our first son was two, we told all the Grandparents that we would not do any visiting on Christmas Day. That was a day for our kids to stay home and enjoy all their new toys. We also started another tradition of having a big dinner Christmas night. We like to do different things and this year we are having this potato casserole.
Betty Crocker™ potato mixes are made with 100% real real potatoes so you know they are tasty. Poblanos really give a great smokey flavor to this dish and they are not hot or spicy so kids can eat it too. To make this casserole you just saute bell pepper and onion. Add in ground beef, roasted poblanos, tomatoes and taco seasoning mix. Top it with the hashbrowns and heat it through in the oven. You can make these potatoes in the oven, microwave or on the stovetop but for this recipe use the stove top method. If you are not a fan of ground beef you can also use ground turkey or chicken.
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 orange or red bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef turkey, or chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning or use 1/4 cup of your own
- 1 large tomato seeded and diced
- 2 small or 1 large poblano pepper roasted and diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 can or bottle of beer or water
- 2 boxes Betty Crocker Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Potatoes
- 2/3 cup milk
- To Roast Poblanos
- Turn on oven to broil
- Cut poblanos in half and take out seeds
- Place skin side up in pan and put in broiler until the skin blackens
- Take out of oven and put in a paper or plastic bag for 2-3 minutes then take skin off and dice.
- To Make Casserole
- Turn oven on at 350 degrees
- Put oil in a large skillet on medium
- Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes
- Add in the ground meat and cook breaking it up until browned
- Sprinkle in taco seasoning and stir
- Mix in tomatoes and roasted poblanos.
- Sprinkle in flour and coat meat
- Pour in beer and let simmer until the liquid thickens
- Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish
- Make Betty Crocker Cheesy Hashbrowns as directed for the stove top method
- Pour over meat mixture in the casserole dish
- Bake until heated through for about 15-20 minutes
Right now you can download this coupon for $0.50/2 boxes and try any of the 11 flavors of Betty Crocker™ Casserole Potatoes. Go ahead and print it now though because quantities are limited! I’m also giving away $15 in paypal cash for you to try them. All you have to do is leave me a comment below letting me know where you will shop for your potatoes and what dish you will make with them!
A tasty family tradition made easier! Betty Crocker™ casserole potatoes bake in just 20 minutes to make a delicious and convenient side dish your whole family will love. Betty uses 100% real potatoes for the best flavor available. Try the 11 different varieties of casserole potatoes, and give your family and friends something to talk about. They are easy to prepare, allowing you more time to spend with family and friends during the holidays, and easy potato upgrades can be done with all the flavors by simply adding a few other ingredients to really impress. You can even prepare a potato buffet from sweet to savory that will appeal to everyone during the holidays! Disclosure: The information, products and Betty Crocker™ Potato gift cards were provided by Betty Crocker™ through Linqia.