A few weeks ago my friend Julie introduced me to the Pass the Cook Book Club. I have told you before my friends call me a cookbook whore. I can’t seem to pass them up. I have tons, have donated or given away tons and still buy more. I think I need a 12 step program for it. I was thinking about starting a series to cook recipes from all of the ones I have on hand and then along came this!
Each month we are assigned a new cookbook and are given recipes to choose from to try. This months cookbook was one of my favorite subjects from one of my favorite cooks:
Normally I would grill the burger but when we decided to cook these it was pouring outside. You can always make them on the stovetop. Just heat your pan on high, 500 degrees is recommended. Put a little oil in the hot pan and put the burgers in and cook for 3-4 minutes. Don't touch them so they will develop a crust. Flip them and after 2 minutes topping each one with 2 slices of cheese. When you cook on the stove top put the top on the pan to seal in the heat and melt the cheese better.
Spread the horseradish sauce on the top and bottom buns, be liberal it’s good. Place the burgers on the bun bottoms and top with tomato, lettuce, and onion. Pile on the potato chips and put on the top bun. You want sauce on the top bun so the chips will stick to the sauce and not fall out of the burger. You can only get this advice from real life trial and error.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck 80% lean
- 1 1/2 tbs canola oil
- 8 slices American cheese each 1/4" thick
- 4 Kaiser roll hamburger buns split and toasted if you would like (Bobbie uses Potato Buns)
- 4 slices hothouse tomatoes Bobby uses Beefsteak
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 handfuls potato chips I used Lays Kettle Chips
- Horseradish Mustard Mayo
- Horseradish Mustard Mayo
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons Dijon
- 2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
- Whisk together the mayo, mustard, and horseradish in a small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- The Burger
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 3/4" thick burger and take your thumb and press it down in the middle of the burger to make a divot. This is how you keep your burgers from becoming big meat balls on the grill.
- Season both sides of the burger with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes flip
- Wait 2 minutes and top each one with 2 slices of cheese per burger
- Spread the horseradish sauce on the top and bottom buns, be liberal.
- Place the burgers on the bun bottoms and top with tomato, lettuce, and onion.
- Pile on the potato chips and put on the top bun.
30-45 minutes before you cook your burgers take your meat out of the fridge. Meat that is closer to room temp will be juicer. Then make the Horseradish Mustard Mayo so it can meld together for 30 minutes.