Make your own deli meat to save money on your groceries, and to give your family sandwiches that aren't full of unhealthy fillers and preservatives!
There's no need to buy stuff that doesn't even look like it came from a turkey when you can make your own deli meat in the slow cooker!
I have started trying to make “real food” and ditch the over processed stuff so we can cut down on salt in our diets. I'm going to show you how to easily make your own deli meat in the slow cooker.We love to make sandwiches. Every time I go to the grocery store and hit the deli counter, I look at that log of something they call turkey and think, “I've never had a turkey breast that looked like that and came from nature!”
There are 1050 mg of sodium in 3 slices of deli turkey. That means you can only have 800 more mg for the entire day if you have that deli sandwich. That is crazy! Why not made a real turkey breast in your slow cooker, cut down on the sodium and have a better lunch?
We all know the best sandwich is right after thanksgiving, right? This recipe is so easy you can make one turkey breast a week and have a healthy sandwich at the ready. Even better, you cook it in your slow cooker, so you don't have to babysit it.
The fun part is that you can play around with the herbs and citrus to make it a little different every week. It's juicy and flavorful and with good bread and mayonnaise, it's the perfect sandwich.
Do you think you will make your own deli meat?
- 1 turkey breast
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock or water
- 2 stalks Rosemary
- 1 onion cut in ringed slices
- 1 lemon lime, or orange
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted stick butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken stock into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place 2 stalks of rosemary and onion slices on the bottom of the slow cooker
- Cut citrus fruit into fourths and put inside of turkey breast.
- Place Breast into slow cooker.
- Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into 4 slices and put under the skin of the turkey breast.
- Season top with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment to let me know what you think of it!