There are few things as perfectly “Fall” as a delicious bowl of still-warm-from-the-oven apple crisp topped with vanilla ice cream, except maybe when those apples have been hand-picked just hours before! Instead of the more traditional oat topping, the walnuts adds a deliciously nutty flavor to the classic dessert.
Be sure to use apples good for baking so you don’t end up with mushy or crunchy apples. Cortland, Fuji, Jonagold and Honeycrisp are all great choices – but the classic and readily-available McIntosh do well also. (For this dish, I used Honeycrisp apples).
Walnut Apple Crisp
A great fall recipe!
- Filling Ingredients:
- 6 medium apples
- Leveled 1/2 cup white sugar
- Leveled 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a medium baking dish and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Cut them into bite-sized chunks and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the white and brown sugars, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
- Let the fruit mixture macerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients using a Dough Blender or the back of a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is crumbly, but combined. Transfer the apple mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the apple mixture begins to bubble up through the topping. You want the crust to be a beautiful golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool and set for 10 minutes.
- Now scoop up some vanilla ice cream and enjoy!