What’s in your freezer? Meats? Veggies? Some sort of boxed meal? Maybe you want something more homemade, but you’re not sure where to start? I put this casserole together when I needed something quick and easy that kids and adults would both enjoy. It’s my go-to recipe when I need to make dinner for a new mom or a friend that is sick. It’s a quick weeknight meal and we usually have it with a salad and garlic bread. This easy pasta casserole freezes well if you want to make it ahead of time, but it only takes about 30 minutes to make on a busy weeknight. Make some room in your freezer and make a double batch. Future you will thank you.
It has a lot of the flavors of lasagna, so if that is a fave in your house then your family will definitely go for this. (Personally, I don’t know any kid that doesn’t like pasta.) I like to make it with Italian sausage, but you can also use hamburger or ground turkey or chicken if you want. Since they don’t include spices, you may want to add a little more seasoning if you do. You can also throw in some veggies like traditional onion and green peppers or eggplant and broccoli. This is a really versatile recipe – customize it to your family’s tastes.
Italian Pasta Casserole is an easy meal to take to a large function or for any friend in need. (Make two each time you make it, and you’ll never be without!)
If you’re looking to control portion size, make several in smaller containers to freeze for lunches or dinner paired with a healthy green salad and light dressing. All the indulgence of lasagna, but far easier to make on a weeknight! Enjoy!
- 12 oz rotelle noodles or the pasta of your choice
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage pulled out of the casing
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 15 oz jar alfredo sauce
- 1 24 oz jar red spaghetti sauce
- 6 oz ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- 2-3 cups of shredded mozzarella
- Put a large stockpot of water on to boil.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start to brown your sausage and sprinkle on the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- When the sausage is browned drain on paper towels or in a colander.
- When your water comes to a boil put in your pasta and cook al dente.
- In a large bowl mix together your alfredo sauce, spaghetti sauce, ricotta cheese and cooked sausage.
- When your pasta is ready, drain it and mix in with your sauce mixture.
- Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Put in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted and bubbly.