Today I'm showing you how to make one of my favorite treats – Creamsicle Whoopie Pies! These are so incredibly delicious – the cake is perfectly moist and the frosting is just the right balance of orange and vanilla flavors. What is a Whoopie Pie? They are 2 soft cake-like cookies with a soft creamy filling. Traditionally they are made with chocolate and a vanilla filling. It's more like a soft oreo. Creamsicles are frozen treats of orange flavored ice with a center of vanilla ice cream. I've put them both together for a fun twist.
I know strawberries and blueberries are supposed to the quintessential summer flavors, but there's just something about the orange and vanilla flavors together that screams summer to me! We used to spend lots of time at my grandparent's home, know affectionately as ‘The Valley.' It was in the middle of nowhere Maine and the mosquitos were big enough to carry off the smaller kids. It was heaven – 100 acres of virtually untouched forest. I have so many wonderful memories of family cookouts, going on nature walks with my grandfather, swimming in the frigid pond (it never got warm, even in August!), picking raspberries so my grandmother could make pie, and playing with my sisters and cousins. I miss those days, but somehow eating one (or two!) of these brings me right back to those happy childhood memories.
These are easiest to make in a Whoopie Pie Pan trust me it's worth it, you can use these to make perfectly shaped cookies as well, so it's a great investment!
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Orange Butter Cream Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- orange food coloring (optional
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease a whoopie pie pan.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, softened butter, orange zest and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans. Do not fill the wells more than 2/3â??s full. Bake for 12-15 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan from the oven and let set for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together the sugar, orange extract and butter, adding the milk as needed. Beat for about 3 minutes until fluffy and thick.
- Mix in enough of the orange food coloring to turn the frosting the desired color of orange, if desired.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto one cake, place a second cake on top.
Store whoopie pies in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Here are some other Yummy Favorites from Juggling Act Mama: