Every Thanksgiving we use our leftover turkey and make this delicious turkey gumbo. It’s Emeril’s recipe and is the best turkey gumbo recipe around. We never change a thing and our parents beg us to make it for them. We make a batch and freeze a few bags for later in the year.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage we use andouille
- 2 quarts turkey broth
- Reserved Turkey Meat from stock or about 2 cups shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Combine the oil and flour in the bottom of the pot over medium heat.
- Stir slowly and constantly. Stir for 20-25 minutes until it becomes dark brown, the color of chocolate
- Season the chopped onions, bell peppers and celery with the salt and cayenne.
- Add them to the roux and stir until soft about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage, cook stirring often for 5 minutes
- Add your homemade turkey stock or chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Add your reserved turkey meat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and green onions and serve in soup bowls over rice.
To get my recipe for homemade Turkey Stock click here >>>