Halloween is such a fun time for kids. It’s the time when it’s OK to do something gross and creepy with food and kids will think it’s awesome. There is nothing better for a party than a cake so I’m going to show you step by step how to make this easy Halloween Poke Cake with “toxic ooze” bubbling up underneath.
How to make a Poke Cake
Poke cakes are really easy and fun to make. There are a dozen different flavors you can combine, but the process is always the same. First, you will bake your cake in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. When you take it out of the oven use the end of a wooden spoon or a dowel and poke holes all over the top of the cake.
Next, make your pudding and spread it all over the top. I bang the pan on my counter a few times to get the Jello pudding to go down into the holes. I promise it’s a little cathartic as well.
For the next layer I mixed Cool Whip with cocoa powder to make Chocolate Cool Whip and spread that on top.
I wanted to make it look like the ooze was coming up through dirt, so I used my tapered rolling pin and a Ziploc Bag to crush up some chocolate graham crackers and sprinkled them on top.
The fun decoration of this cake was poking in gummy worms and candy eyeballs. It really gave this toxic ooze poke cake an eerie feeling.
I love displaying it on this cute spider runner to give it that spooky effect.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 box 5.1 oz box Vanilla Jello Instant Pudding Mix
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons green food dye
- 1 12 oz container Cool Whip
- 5 tsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1 package chocolate graham crackers crushed
- Gummy worms candy eyeballs or any other candy you wish to use.
- Mix together cake mix, eggs, oil and water until blended. Pour in a greased 9x13 dish and bake as directed.
- Take the baked cake out of the oven.
- Using a wooden spoon or dowel poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- Mix together vanilla pudding mix, milk and green food dye. Feel free to add more to adjust the color.
- Immediately pour pudding over cooled cake before it sets.
- Let sit on counter or place in refrigerator until completely cooled.
- Mix together Cool Whip with cocoa powder and spread over top of the cake.
- Crush graham crackers and sprinkle over the top of the chocolate whipped topping.
- Place candy on top and push worms down into the whip topping.
*This post contains affiliate links