In the south one of the things we look forward to in spring is fresh vegetables. Tomatoes are one of my absolute favorites. Last week I visited my Mom’s and we made a tomato sandwich. I had forgotten how good these were. Now I want one EVERY DAY! It's so fresh and crisp, it's like healthy comfort food. This sandwich is a staple in the south. Many make it with only tomato and mayonnaise. My father makes his favorite with tomato and peanut butter. (Don't ask I know how bad that sounds, he swears by it)
This sandwich is the perfect way to bring in spring and it's healthy! Just a few notes, I did do a personal taste test between Kraft and Dukes Mayonnaise. Dukes was the winner hands down and if you want to make this low fat they have a great low fat version. You must toast the bread or it won't hold up to the water in the veggies. It also gives you a crunch you will love with this sandwich.
- Sourdough Bread or whatever bread you prefer
- Tomato Slices
- Peeled and sliced cucumber
- Swiss Cheese
- Dukes Mayonnaise
- Romaine Lettuce
- Toast your bread
- Spread some mayonnaise on one or both pieces depending on how much you love mayo
- Layer the Swiss cheese, tomato, cucumber
- Add some salt more is better than less on these veggies
- Add romaine and top with the other slice of bread.
I did my own taste test and prefer Dukes over any other brand