I am so excited it’s almost strawberry season. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits. Last year, the kids and I picked some at a local farm and made Jam. We will be doing that again for sure! To get you in the mood for the season, I am showing you how to make a strawberry crumb cake.
This is seriously one of the easiest cakes you can make. It's also perfect to take to a church social, a family event or the 4th of July picnic. It needs no icing so it travels perfectly. This cake is so moist I promise you will be wanting to eat it for breakfast with a cup of coffee and then again for dessert with some ice cream on top!
Just a few tips before you see the recipe.To slice your strawberries I recommend this nifty Joie Simply Slice Strawberry Slicer. I bought it last year and it is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. (You can also use an egg slicer if you have one)
This recipe is best done in a food processor so you can cut in the butter but you could also use a Pastry Blender as well. Don't get worried when you mix everything together and it's not runny like a regular cake mix, it's supposed to be thick. You can see it in my picture below.
Cool, your cake pan on a cooling rack if you can, it will cool faster. You will want it to because it's hard to resist warm cake….with ice cream!
- Bottom Layer:
- 3 cups AP Flour
- 1 1/4 cups of Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Stick of Butter put it in the freezer for 5 minutes
- 3/4 cups of Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Sliced Berries
- Top Layer:
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Stick of Butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 dish.
- Slice your Strawberries.
- In a food processor combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Cut the butter into slices and put into the processor and pulse until itâ??s blended into the dry ingredients and is the consistency of course crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl mix your milk and eggs.
- Stir in your dry ingredients until mixed then fold in your fruit. Just a note this is not like a cake mix it is thick.
- Spread this in the bottom of the cake pan.
- In your food processor mix the topping ingredients until they are again like a crumb texture.
- Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Put the cake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.