Pepper steak was one of my favorite meals as a child. It was one of the recipes my mother would routinely make. I have never made it until I recently bought the cookbook, Fix-It and Forget-It Revised and Updated: 700 Great Slow Cooker Recipes, slow cooker pepper steak was the first recipe I tried. It is so much easier to make this way and tastes just like your mom used to make it!
My hubby is great at his one chicken stir fry recipe and has been looking for others. He has not hit the mark yet, but I gotta give him props for trying. He sometimes substitutes steak but it just never tastes right, I think I always expect it to taste like green pepper steak.This post contains affiliate links, they don't make me millions,
but they do help pay for the fee's associated with this blog
When I looked at this crockpot recipe I was a little hesitant it would come out mushy with the small slices of steak, but it was perfect. The steak was intact but tender with a rich and yummy gravy. The green peppers were still a little firm but not crunchy. Serve slow cooker green pepper steak over egg noodles, or rice which is my preference.
When making recipes in a regular crockpot with a ceramic liner, I recommend using these slow cooker liners for easy cleanup. I personally am a huge fan of the Ninja 3-in-1 slow cooker because you can brown the meat for this recipe right in it and don't have to use another pan. After all one of the things we love about a slow cooker is less mess, right? You can read more about slow cookers at the bottom of this post.
If you want to make eating this pepper steak recipe fun for the little ones, get them a pair of Hog Wild Zoo Stick Chop Sticks they are fun to use and great for building fine motor skills.
I promise you will love the ease of this recipe and it will become a favorite go to in your house.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs beef round steak cut into strips
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 large green peppers cut into strips
- 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Place oil in a skillet and bring to a medium high heat.
- Place beef strips in the saucepan and brown just long enough to get the outside crusted and caramelized but do not cook all the way through.
- Do not overload load the pan down or your meat will steam not brown. If needed cook in batches.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Mix together soy sauce, garlic, onions, sugar, salt, pepper, and ginger.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on Low 5-6 hours.
- Add green peppers and tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 additional hour.
- Combine water and corn starch to make a paste.
- Stir into slow cooker.
- Cook on High until thickened, about 10 mins.
- Serve over rice or noodles