Slow cooker boeuf bourguignon tastes like you slaved over it for hours, but your Crock Pot does all of the hard work for you!
This post contains Affiliate Links which Contribute to running this blog and are for your convenience only.
I loved the movie Julie and Julia. I went to see the movie with my friend Julie and we went right after the movie and bought Julia Child’s cookbook. A few weeks later we got our hubbies together and made Boeuf Bourguignon from scratch according to Julia’s recipe! It was amazing and made you just smile at how good it made you feel. Last week I decided to give it a try in the crockpot and see if I could get similar results.
This slow cooker boeuf bourguignon is a rich and hearty dinner, perfect for a fall or winter meal.
I have served this at dinner parties and no one could believe it was cooked in a Crockpot. Hearty root vegetables and mushrooms help to make a rich gravy that is perfect served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. It’s just as good when it comes out of the slow cooker as it was slaving over a stove and much easier.
Also known as beef burgundy the premise of this recipe is to take an inexpensive cut of meat and make it so tender it falls apart. The secret to my slow cooker boeuf bourguignon recipe is using bacon fat as a base. Next time you make bacon pour the grease into an old ice cube tray and freeze it for recipes like this. For more freezing tips check out my post on 25 Foods You Can Freeze You Probably Don’t Know About.
Don’t forget the bread to soak up the juices with! I recommend making a batch of dinner rolls.
Enjoy this slow cooker boeuf bourguignon recipe!
Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgandy)
10 hrs 15 mins
10 hrs 25 mins
Course: Slow Cooker
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1 1/2â? cubes have the butcher do it for you
- 6 slices of bacon minced then cooked to get the bacon drippings if you have 1/4 cup of bacon grease you can use that
- 3/4 bag of frozen onion or 1 cup diced fresh
- 10 baby carrots cut into small pieces or 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste or a 8oz can of reduced can of tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups Pinot Noir
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package of frozen pearl onions or 1 1/2 cups fresh
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cartons of baby bella mushrooms cut into quarters
- Season the beef with Salt and Pepper and put it in your slow cooker.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp and remove from pan.
- Using the bacon grease still in the pan, saute diced onion,carrots, tomato paste, garlic and thyme until the onions are unfrozen and soft.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute to get rid of the flour taste.
- Stir in 1 cup of wine and get all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Pour into the slow cooker. (Don't worry about room for the rest of the ingredients. This will cook down enough to add the other stuff later)
- Pour in broth, soy sauce and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook for 9-10 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before it's done, put your pearl onions, water, butter and sugar in a pan and saute until the onions are soft.
- Pour in 1 cup of wine and reduce.
- Throw in the mushrooms and saute about 10 minutes.
- Throw it all in the slow cooker and let it cook for about 15 more minutes.
Serve over mashed potatoes with a nice glass of wine and you will be happy happy!
If you are looking for some other great slow cooker recipes, you can get them all by clicking here.