Spring is here, and I have been dying to have Paula Deen’s Tomato Pie, it is one of my favorite spring summer side dishes. I have wanted to try it with a potato crust for a while now. Oh, my it was soooooooooooo good, as in so good I had it for lunch the next two days!
The crust is simple to make with just egg, cheese and one bag of hashbrowns. Just make sure when you bake it you get it browned, or it will fall apart on you.
While your crust is baking, you are going to slice and salt your tomatoes to pull the extra water out of them, this will keep your pie from being soupy. I usually line them in a colander, so the water drains through the holes while the crust cooks.
- 1 Package Simply Potatoes Hashbrowns I used the new garlic and herb variety
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 egg
- Olive Oil
- 3 Tomatoes sliced
- 11/2 cup Dukes Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- One teaspoon Salt
- 10-12 Basil Leaves
- Mix one package Simply Potatoes with an egg and parmesan cheese
- Press into a pie pan to form a crust.
- Brush crust with Olive Oil.
- Put in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until fully browned.
- While the crust is baking slice tomatoes and put in a colander.
- Sprinkle with salt, this will draw out the extra water. Let them sit and drain while the crust cooks.
- Cut your basil into ribbon shreds then layer your tomatoes and basil into the crust.
- Mix the mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese and spread over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly!