One of the things I love most about the blogging community is the exchange of some really fabulous ideas. Whenever I’m in a rut, I just look to my fellow bloggers for inspiration. This week, I was mesmerized by The Blahnik Baker and her Pink Velvet Cupcakes. Before we go any further, I should let you know that there’s going to be a lot of love in this post – after all, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. (Ahem) As I was saying, I fell in love with these cupcakes and decided to make them for you! And because I love you so much, I’m giving away some free printables, too. These cute cupcake toppers are perfect for school parties. The Valentine’s Day coupons that you can print and write in your gift makes the perfect last-minute gift for your love.
See how I’m making this so easy for you? Cute classroom snack – check! Valentine’s Day gifts for your honey or teacher – check! You love me, right?
First up – Pink Velvet Cupcakes. There’s nothing more delicious than a velvet cake recipe. I love this Pink Velvet Cupcake recipe because simply put, it is the perfect expression of love in velvet cupcake form! Hit next for the recipe.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 drops pink food coloring
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons light cream
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the food coloring - you can add less for a more pastel color, and more for a more vibrant one.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well before adding the next. Scrape bowl as needed. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Reduce the speed to low. Slowly alternate the dry ingredients with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Using an ice cream or muffin scoop, divide the batter in the pan - you want each well to be about two-thirds of the way full.
- Bake for 12 â?? 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Reduce the speed and add 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Add the cream, and extracts.
- Gradually add more powdered sugar, a little at a time, until the frosting is thick but not stuff.
cut out a hole in the top of the cupcake. You can use a knife or apple corer to do this. Next I piped in a dollop frosting, then squished the cake circle back in the top of the cupcake before frosting – which gave me these lovely cream cheese filled pink velvet cupcakes!
Now here’s the really fun part, and the kids can help, too. Here is how to make the cupcake toppers and print out the Valentine Coupons
Download the free printable at the bottom of this page. Grab a 1-1/2 inch craft hole punch (or some scissors) and cut out the cupcake toppers. You’ll need 2 for each cupcake. Add a little double-sided tape to the back of one circle. Place a toothpick or lollipop stick in the center, then gently press the second circle on top.
When your cupcakes are ready download and print out these fun Valentine’s Day coupons and make up your own sweet gift! After all, the best gifts are from the heart.
Download the printables by clicking on these links:
If you need more Valentine’s Day inspiration, check out these great posts: