My friend Mary recently let me invite myself to see how she makes homemade ginger snaps.
Mary and I became friends a few years ago and last year we started having breakfast or lunch together every Monday. She is a preschool teacher and that is her day off! We continued the tradition this year and now we are the Monday Breakfast Mommas there are 5 other ladies that join us every week. This week she mentioned she was going home to make Ginger Snaps so I asked if I could come see! She was all for it, here is Mary with her sweet puppy Bailey.
This recipe is an old one of Mary’s from her mother and as a lover of ginger snaps I was surprised how easy they were. Mattie joined us to get in on the action. (sorry this pic is not so great but he’s so cute I had to share)
You can get the recipe down below but here is on secret Mary shared with me for making her homemade ginger snaps. You put out wax paper, pour some sugar out and rub it on your hands when you are rolling the dough balls. It gets the crunchy sugar-coating all over the snaps and makes them even sweeter!
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Cloves
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco shortening regular not butter flavored
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- Sugar for dusting
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Cream the shortening with a mixer until softened.
- Gradually add 1/3 of the sugar at a time creaming until fluffy after each addition.
- Add the egg and cream until fluffy
- Blend in the Molasses
- Mix in 1/4 of the dry ingredients and blend till creamed, repeat 3 more times
- Put sugar on waxed paper and rub onto hands.
- Roll into small 1" balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 min.
- Watch them and when they have risen and have cracks on top then remove. They should be chewy on the inside if they are not then you over cooked them.
It's more important to watch the cookies for texture instead of time in the oven. If they have risen and have cracks on top then remove them.