One of my favorite icings to use on cupcakes is Cream Cheese Frosting. It's creamy and thick and easy to spread. I'm not a big icing person, but homemade cream cheese icing is not as sweet as most icings so I like it much better. You can adjust the sweetness to your taste when you make it homemade. Yes, you can buy it in a can but why would you want to? It's so simple to make and sooooooo much better homemade.
This icing recipe is so flexible you can change it up many ways. Add flavorings like I did for these lemon cupcakes with a caramel drizzle. Add food coloring like I did for these luscious strawberry lemonade cupcakes. The uses are endless!
When I put this on cupcakes I just load it into a ziptop bag, press the air out, and snip a small bit of the corner off. I really hope you will consider trying to make this the next time you make your favorite cake or cupcakes.
- 2 8 oz packages of Cream Cheese Softened
- 1 Stick 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- 3-4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Set cream cheese out for about 1 hour to soften
- Blend cream cheese and butter in your mixer.
- Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Spread on your cake or if you are making cupcakes put the icing in a Ziploc bag and cut the corner off. Swirl onto the cupcakes
You can adjust the amount of powdered sugar to your taste to make it more or less sweet.