Fall is the perfect time for apples. To me, they are a sign that it is time to think about family, football, and Thanksgiving. There is a crispness in the air and that sweet and slightly tangy taste of an apple just makes me excited. Of course, at my age, it might also be that I'm just glad it will be cooler outside! (wink wink)
Here's the slow cooker apple pie filling recipe:
- 2 cups warm to hot water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cups diced apples
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Put the hot water cornstarch and sugar in the slow cooker and whisk them so that they are combined with no lumps.
- Peel, Core and dice your apples and throw them right in your slow cooker.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in your slow cooker and stir them all together.
- Set it on low for 4 hours and you are done.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate.
This slow cooker apple pie filling is made to use in ready-made items or quick cook recipes not in a long baking pie in the oven.