This Chipotle BBQ Grilled Chicken got rave reviews this past Memorial Day weekend. We hosted a casual backyard cookout for some friends and neighbors. We had a fantastic time, with lots of food, drink, games and laughs. We ended up grilling all of the meat and had our friends bring a side dish or dessert to share. We also made burgers, chicken wings, and hot dogs.
Chipotle BBQ Grilled Chicken starts with this amazing BBQ Sauce
The day before our cookout, I made a batch of this glorious Chipotle BBQ Sauce. It’s sweet and smoky with a bit of spice, which comes from the addition of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can alter the amount of spice in this sauce simply by adding more or less of the chipotle peppers, which come in a little 7 oz. can. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are typically found in the International section of the grocery store.
Once the sauce is done, (takes just 20 minutes simmering on the stove), let the sauce cool to room temperature. I then marinated my chicken breasts in about 2/3 cup of the sauce. Refrigerate the chicken and sauce anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours. I’ve marinated this chicken ahead of time for busy nights when I don’t have much time to cook. Once you’re ready for dinner, simply light your grill, and add your pre-marinated chicken. From here, brush on some additional sauce while grilling, and dinner is done in about 15 minutes!
I used chicken breasts, however, you can certainly use boneless chicken thighs or bone-in chicken pieces. This chipotle BBQ sauce is also really fantastic on pork chops and loin.
Here’s how this amazing Chipotle BBQ Grilled Chicken recipe comes together:
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. Chipotle BBQ Sauce divided
- Chipotle BBQ Sauce:
- 2 8 oz. cans, tomato sauce
- 3 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce comes in 7 oz. can, pureed (add more for additional spice and heat)
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- For sauce, bring all of the ingredients together in a medium saucepan, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring often. Let the sauce cool to room temperature. It can then be used right away. Reserve about 1 cup to be used with the chicken and store the remaining sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add the chicken and about 2/3 cup of the sauce. Coat the chicken well, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator, and light your grill to a medium - high setting. Add the chicken to the hot grill, skin side down. Cover with lid and cook for about 5-7 minutes, and then flip. Brush with the additional 1/3 cup of sauce, and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Chicken is done when white all the way through, and juices run clear. Serve right away.
This grilled chicken was a huge hit at our cookout. I hope you’re able to enjoy this with your friends and family at a cookout, BBQ or potluck of your own this summer. I think you’ll discover it’s the perfect summer recipe, any night of the week! ~Enjoy, Erin
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love some of my other grilled chicken recipes