We had already made plans to go have dinner and spend the night with our friends Julie and Spin, so now we got to do it without kids! Happy New Year to me! They asked me to bring an appetizer, so I got out my cookbooks and found this amazing Baked Fontina Garlic Cheese Dip from the Barefoot Contessa. I call it cheesy heaven. Seriously this is the best cheese dip recipe I have ever eaten.
So it took mere minutes to put together this cheese dip and only 6 minutes under the broiler. The smell of cheesy garlic was unbelievable and can I just say I felt a little closer to God eating this, they must serve this in heaven. Our friends Julie and Spin are wonderful cooks, and they could not get enough of it. Julie makes this fabulous spaghetti sauce, which we had for dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds ItalianÂ FontinaÂ cheese rind removed and 1-inch-diced
- 1/4 cup goodÂ olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 crusty FrenchÂ baguette
- Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack 5 inches from the heat.
- Distribute the cubes of Fontina evenly in a 12-inch cast-iron pan.
- DrizzleÂ with the olive oil.
- Combine the garlic,Â thyme, andÂ rosemaryÂ and sprinkle it over the cheese and olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the pan under the broiler for 6 minutes, until theÂ cheeseÂ is melted and bubbling and starts to brown.
- Serve the baked Fontina family-style-right out of the oven in the cast-iron pan with crusty chunks of bread for everyone to dip