I love grilled cheese sandwiches and April is Grilled Cheese Month so I’m sharing with you one of my favorite grilled cheese recipes, California grilled cheese. It’s got all your favorite flavors with smoky bacon, avocado, tomato, and jalapenos. It’s going to become a favorite of your too I promise!
Everyone, of course, loves a good old grilled cheese with cheddar or American and buttery bread. We love to dip it in cream of tomato soup. Sometimes you really want something more and there are tons of ways to kick up a grilled cheese sandwich and this one is so full of flavor but you can also check out the post I did on over 20 of the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
California Grilled Cheese
- 6 Slices of Bacon
- 1 Jalapeno Diced
- 2 slices of Cheddar or American Cheese
- 2 Slices Swiss
- 1/2 Avocado smashed up with a fork
- 2 Slices Tomato
- 4 Slices Whole Grain or Whole Wheat Bread
- Cook your bacon till Crisp, reserve grease in pan.
- Put the jalapeno in the leftover bacon grease and saute till soft.
- Drain both on a paper towel.
- Take a slice of Bread and layer as follows; Cheddar Cheese, Jalapeno Dices, Tomato, Bacon, Swiss and on the 2nd piece of bread spread your smashed avocado.
- Put a pan on your stove on LOW add about a teaspoon of butter to the pan
- After it's melted swirl it around and put your sandwich in it.
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes lifting up the edge to make sure you don't burn it. If you are using softened butter you can spread it on the top piece of bread.
- If you are not lift your sandwich out of the pan with your spatula and put more butter into it, wait till it melts then flip you sandwich over and cook until the other side is browned and the cheese is melted.