The weekend before the 4th of July, the in-laws had everyone over for burgers and hot dogs. Nana asked me to bring a salad, and I wanted something fresh and light. For some reason, I was having a huge craving for black beans, so I whipped up this black bean avocado salad, and it was a huge hit!
It was perfect. The creamy avocado and black beans with the crisp lettuce is the perfect texture. The lime cilantro dressing gives it the perfect tart balance. I will be enjoying this all spring and summer!
- 1-2 heads of Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Can of Low Sodium Black Beans drained and washed
- 3/4 of 1 Red Orange, or Yellow Bell Pepper diced
- 1/4 cup Red Onion Diced
- 3/4 of a package of grape tomatoes cut in half
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- salt & pepper
- 3 limes
- 2 Avocados
- Take the romaine leaves roll them up and slice it into thin ribbons like you do basil,
- Put the lettuce in a bowl and top with drained and rinsed black beans, bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes.
- Dice up the avocado and squeeze the juice of one lime over it, this will keep it from browning too fast.
- Take about 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, the juice of 2 limes, cumin and S&P to taste and mix in a separate bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together
After dinner, we went outside for sparklers and pop-it's. So that the kids would be less afraid of the sparklers we put small holes in plastic cups and put the handle through so the kids would not get burned.
Thanks Nana for a great dinner and some family time!