This authentic Cuban sandwich recipe is made with slow cooked mojo roasted pork, layers of cheese, pickles and ham, then pressed. It’s one of the best hot sandwiches you will ever eat.
We have a few friends from Cuba and my friend Diana made her Cuban sandwiches for me and the hubby when we were going on a road trip. We stopped at a state park and had a little picnic. They were fantastic and once I got back she taught me how to make them.
There are two steps in making this authentic Cuban sandwich recipe. The first is to cook a Boston pork butt, also known as pork shoulder, in your Crock Pot with a bottle of mojo criollo sauce. I have tried a few mojo brands but I like Goya the best it really has more flavor and spices than others. The sauce soaks in and flavors the pork until it’s so tender it just falls apart and it’s AMAZING! The smell in your house will drive you cray-cray as my 9-year-old says. Once it’s done though it’s time to build this sandwich.
This authentic Cuban sandwich is all about layers.
Authentic Cuban Sandwich Recipe
- 2 24 oz. bottles of Goya Mojo Sauce
- 4-6 lb Boston Pork Butt
- sandwich sliced dill pickles
- Swiss cheese slices
- deli sliced black forest ham
- Dijon mustard
- Cuban Bread if your store does not carry Cuban bread Italian bread will work as well.
- Step 1
- Place Boston Butt in the slow cooker.
- Pour 18 oz. of Mojo over roast.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove from Slow Cooker and shred with two forks
- Step 2
- Slice Cuban Bread Lengthwise
- Brush both sides of the bread with Mojo
- Spread Mayo on one side and Dijon mustard on the other.
- Layer pickles, shredded pork roast, ham, and Swiss cheese onto the bread.
- Place the other slice of bread on top.
- Put into a panini press or place the sandwich into a frying pan and place a foil wrapped brick on top to press it flat.
- Cook until sandwich is pressed and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a bowl of mojo for dipping