Apple pie cookies are a sweet treat that has all of the flavors of a homemade apple pie, tucked inside of a cute cookie!
Pie is a glorious thing and I love all types of pie, but the most popular flavor of pie in America is, of course, good old Apple pie. If you love pie but want something a little more fun, portable for a picnic, or perfect for a party these apple pie cookies are the perfect treat. If Apple is not your fave don't worry any pie filling will do, you could make pumpkin pie cookies for the upcoming holidays.
They are so easy to make using refrigerated pie dough, or you are welcome to make your own if you are good at that, but me… not so much!
Roll out your pie dough – just 2 swipes each way is enough.
Take a round cookie cutter (mine was 3″ in diameter) and cut circles out of each pie dough circle. I was able to get 8 out of each crust round. Place 1/2 your pie circles on a parchment lined baking pan and spread 1 tablespoon pie filling in the center. I like Comstock pie filling, it's made with large apple slices in it so I threw it in my Blendtec blender for a few seconds to chop it up.
If you prefer homemade filling, you might want to try my slow cooker apple pie filling it's so easy and tastes great. Refrigerate the canned pie filling for about 30 minutes after you chop it up, making it thicker and less runny. You don't want the filling to reach the edges or your pie crust cookies will not seal, causing the filling to leak out when you cook them.
Now you are ready to make the tops for your apple pie cookies!
If you want to cut a vent hole like the first picture above or use a small cookie cutter in the top pie crust then do so now before you place it on top. If you are just making slits like you see below, you can wait until after you put the tops on.
Dip the tip of your finger into one beaten egg and run a small line of egg wash around the circles on your cookie sheet. Next, take each top crust and do the same, before putting it on top. You can use your fingers, a pie wheel, or a fork to go around each circle and seal them.
Take the remaining egg wash and brush it on top of each of your apple pie cookies. An egg wash on top will help with browning and give them a pretty sheen once the apple pie cookies are baked. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top and bake at 450 degrees for about 12-15 minutes depending on your oven. Remove from the oven and serve warm with ice cream or let cool.
Here's the printable recipe for the apple pie cookies:
This post was part of Wayfair's Battle of the Pies. To see all the other Battle of the Pies recipes just check out these links:
- A Blissful Nest – Butterscotch Apple Pumpkin Pie
- A Southern Mother – Bourbon Butterscotch Pie
- Bree Johnson – Rainbow Fruit Pie
- Busy at Home – Coconut Cream Turtle Pie
- Chase the Star – Apple Butter Pie
- ChistinaWilliams – Caramel Pecan Pie
- Cooking with Ruthie – Brown Bag Apple Cinnamon Pie
- Fearlessly Creative Mammas – Double Chocolate Cream Pie
- Graceful Order – My Favorite Pecan Pie Recipe
- Happily Hughes – Mini Caramel Apple Pie
- House of Tubers – Apple Pie in a Bag
- Leahs Life – Cranberry Turkey Pot Pie
- Legal Miss Sunshine – Smores Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Mama of 3 Munchkins – Too Good Sweet Potato Pie
- Our Holly Days – Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Polish my Crown – Cast Iron Apple Pie Recipe
- Simply Darrling – Chocolate Moose Pie Recipe
- Close to Home – Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie Recipe
- The Summary Umbrella – Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 100 Directions – Super Easy Apple Pie Bites
- Bright Green Door – Grandmas Famous Raspberry Pie
- Clarks Condensed – Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Designer Trapped in a Lawyers Body – Epic German Chocolate Pie
- Creative Juice – Heart Raspberry Hand Pies
- Harlem Love Birds – No Bake Deep Dish Triple Layer Pumpkin Pie
- Holy Craft – Homemade Caramel Apple Pie
- Migonis Home – Grandmas Georgia Pecan Pie Reinvented Healthier
- Miss in the Kitchen – No Bake Fudge Bottom Caramel Pie
- My Creative Days – Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Rad Mom Cool Kid – Peanut Butter Banana Pudding Pie
- Simply Nicole – Caramel Apple Crumble Pie
- Sunday Public – Gingerbread Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- Table and Hearth – Chocolate Salted Honey Pie
- The Craft Patch – Decadent Caramel Pie with Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse
- The Logbook – Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Thome Home – Chicken Pot Pie with a Sharp Cheddar Pie Crust
- Wife in Progress – Grannys Puff Pastry Apple Pie
- Wit Wisdom Food – Sugar Cream Pie
- Aimee Broussard – Sweet Potato Smores Pie
- Dearest Geeks of Earth – Easy Apple Pie Recipe