Italian dishes are usually hearty, rich and flavorful and this slow cooker chicken cacciatore is no exception. This is a recipe that I promise you will enjoy any time of the year, over and over again. It’s slow cooked comfort food but it’s not too heavy, it’s perfect in the summer.
Chicken cacciatore is usually cooked slow and low in an oven, but I’ve changed it up a bit to give you the same great flavor but a lot less time and babysitting. During the year when school is going crazy, sports are happening and I am working I don’t always have time to make dinner for my family. My slow cooker helps a ton with this task. I love a good family style dinner.
I’m making this slow cooker dinner for my birthday. I wanted to make this quick so I use jarred pasta sauce instead of a can of diced tomatoes so it would have more flavor. This Italian chicken dish is rich and flavorful with basil, tomatoes, peppers. It’s hearty and filling and awesome with garlic bread and a salad.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken breasts or bone In chicken parts
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 bell Peppers (I used one yellow and one green)
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 sweet Onion sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jar Barilla Tomato and Basil Sauce or any flavor you prefer
- 1 box Barilla Whole Grain Spaghetti or any noodle you wish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a skillet
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with Salt and Pepper
- Dredge the Chicken in the flour.
- Brown the chicken in the olive oil until browned on the outside.
- Place into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the white wine into the skillet and break up any of the yummy bits on the bottom.
- Pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Layer onions, peppers, garlic and mushrooms on top of the chicken.
- Pour the entire jar of Barilla sauce over the veggies
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Cook your noodles following the package directions and drain.
- Put your noodles into a bowl and pour the chicken and sauce on top.
- Serve family style.