Recently I was looking for a steak soup recipe. I have not found one yet but I did come across this recipe for Slowcooker Chuck Wagon Chili! All you have to say is Slow cooker and my ears perk up! While this is not a typical dump and run slowcooker recipe it is easy.
This is a hearty chili and all the different flavors are mind boggling. If you are new to Miss Information you may not know that the hubs and I dated around Emeril Lagasse’s cookbooks. We are fans of his food and this recipe is only changed a teensy bit from his Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders cookbook. I omitted 2 things when I made it but that was because I got so excited to try it I forgot them! My house was smelling AMAZING all day. You know it’s going to be good when the hubs comes up from his office in our basement and says what it THAT? The smell is all the way in my office and it’s killing me!
Here is the recipe and don’t be intimidated by the amount of ingredients (it only took me 30 minutes to throw together) or the fact that it has chocolate and cinnamon in it. Yes I know, how strange that sounds but trust me this is BAM!
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (light or dark - I used dark)
- Put together your spice mixture and set aside.
- Put ½ the oil in your skillet and turn onto high heat.
- Season your meat with the salt and pepper.
- Brown the outside of your beef in batches, adding more oil when needed. Do not cook your meat all the way through, you just want a crust on the outside about 2 minutes on each side.
- Throw the meat into your 6 qt or larger slowcooker.
- Add the onion, celery to the skillet and saute until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, beer and tomato paste and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the garlic, jalapenos and spice mixture to the skillet, stir and simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour this over the beef in your slowcooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the parsley and cilantro leaves and serve.
- Stir in the masa harina and chocolate chips and stir until they are melted.