This post may contain affiliate links.
We love to make sandwiches. Every time I go to the grocery store and hit the deli counter I look at that log of something they call turkey and think, “I’ve never had a turkey breast that looked like that and came from nature!” I have started trying to make “real food” and ditch the over processed stuff so we can cut down on salt in our diets. I’m going to show you how to easily make your own deli meat in the slow cooker.
There are 1050 mg of sodium in 3 slices of deli turkey that means you can only have 800 more mg for the entire day if you have that deli sandwich. That is crazy! Why not made a real turkey breast in your crock pot, cut down on the sodium and have a better lunch.
We all know the best sandwich is right after thanksgiving, right? This recipe is so easy you can make one turkey breast a week and have a healthy sandwich at the ready. Even better you can cook in your slow cooker or in my favorite the Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System so you don’t have to baby sit it. The fun part is that you can play around with the herbs and citrus to make it a little different every week. It’s juicy and flavorful and with good bread and mayonnaise it’s the perfect sandwich.
- 1 turkey breast
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 stalks Rosemary
- 1 onion cut in ringed slices
- 1 lemon, lime, or orange
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted stick butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken stalk into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place in 2 stalks of rosemary and place onion slices along bottom.
- Cut citrus fruit into fourths and put inside of turkey breast.
- Place Breast into slow cooker.
- Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into 4 slices and put under the skin of the turkey breast.
- Season top with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
I mentioned earlier I use the Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System it’s my favorite over Crock pot and Hamilton Beach. It get’s the breast evenly cooked all around and doesn’t dry it out, so if you are looking to buy a new slow cooker you should check it out!