In my house we have our kitchen fridge, an upright freezer and an extra fridge in the basement. I have learned a lot about things I can freeze that make it easy to pull out and whip something up. It ain’t just for peas anymore people. Some you may know but some may surprise you.
1) Mozzarella Cheese, we make a lot of homemade pizza and like to have fresh mozzarella. Most will slice fresh mozzarella on top but it’s hard to get a good consistency. I put my log of mozzarella in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes and then grate it in the food processor.
2) Sliced American Cheese (yea like Kraft singles)and large slabs of cheese from your local warehouse store, you can slam that baby on the counter break off a piece and thaw to slice or put right in the processor to shred
3) Sour Milk Sippy Cups, when you find a rouge sippy cup and the milk has turned to curd many times you throw it away because even after washing it you can’t get the smell out, just stick it in the freezer over night and the smell will be gone!
4) Chopped Onions Diced Green Peppers (or any other color you like)flash freeze . Just chop, spread in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and freeze uncovered. When they are frozen, quickly bag them up and flatten the bag out so you can easily break off as much or as little as you wish for recipes. This works for onions and zucchinis as well. I hear that some people even do this with strawberries and peaches
5) Milk ( you can freeze in ice cube trays and thaw what you need for recipes)
6) Eggs cracked into an ice cube tray for cakes and cookies
7) Shredded chicken(cook a big batch and shred or when you get a rotisserie from the grocery shred the leftovers and put it in a bag) this is great for Enchiladas!
8) lemon/lime juice and zest
9) leftover stock
10) evaporated milk and half & half
11) Buttermilk (whoever uses a whole carton of that?)
12) Flour and Corn Meal, keeps the moths out!
13) Herbs of any type you can put a little water with them in an ice cube tray to pop out for soups or sauces, Fresh Ginger just pull out when you need it and grate
14) Left over waffles, pancakes and biscuits ( just put in the toast or micro)
15) Chili’s of any kind diced
16) Pesto store bought or homemade
17) Garlic Cloves
18) Put your meat in a freezer bag pour in the marinade and freeze, take it out, when it’s thawed it’s fully marinated and ready to cook
19) Soups and Chili
20) Homemade Casseroles like Lasagna, Mac and Cheese,and enchiladas
21) Pureed Veggies to put in soups or I used to to put them in ice cube trays for baby food, when they were frozen I would pop into Ziploc bags and then just pull out what I needed to feed the baby
22) OK we all know chunks of meat but pre-made meatballs and hamburgers are good to!
23) Chocolate Chip Cookies, make your dough spoon onto cookie sheets, put in freezer when frozen put into a Ziploc bag and just pull out what you want to eat
25) Veggie waste for stocks
Please share what do you freeze?
© YOUR COPYRIGHT YEAR(S) Miss Information. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.